Emergency Response Project in WASH and Camp Management Activities for IDPs in Dhamar and Sa'ada Governorates (Priority 2)
Implemented by: National Foundation for Development and Humanitarian Response (NFDHR)
Funded by: Yemen Humanitarian Fund (YHF)
Implementation period: January 16, 2021 - January 15, 2022
Number of beneficiaries: 14,255 IDPs
- Jahran District, Dhamar Governorate
- As-Safra District, Sa'ada Governorate
The project aims to respond to WASH urgent needs of displaced families and support the management of IDP hosting camps through capacity building activities and simple maintenance (rehabilitation of IDP sites).
Main project activities:
• Implementation of two sustainable water projects for the displaced and the host communities in the districts of Jahran and As-Safra.
• Training 69 IDPs on capacity building in livelihood skills in the areas of carpentry, plumbing, painting, sewing, electricity, and agriculture in Sahar District, Sa'ada governorate.
• Supplying 4,830 cubic meters of water to Al Wahda and Al Salam camps in Jahran District for a period of 90 days.
• Building 36 emergency latrines and 15 home bathrooms, as well rehabilitating 18 bathrooms with hand washbasins in the gathering sites of the displaced.
• Construction of 4 concrete sewage tanks for IDPs bathrooms.
• Pumping out 185 cubic meters of latrine septic tanks in the sites of IDPs for a period of 7 months.
• Carrying out 10 hygiene campaigns in the sites of IDPs in Jahran, Dhamar, and Dammaj (Sa'ada), using cash-for-work.
• Training the community committees on the management, operation and maintenance of water projects.
• Implementation of community awareness sessions on personal hygiene and optimal / safe use of water.
• Distribution of 1,600 hygiene kits and chlorinating taps to displaced families.
• Conducting training workshop for 40 members of community committees, community leaders and field team in 3 camps for the displaced on camp management in Sahar district.
• Carrying out minor maintenance tasks in 3 camps for the displaced in the district of Sahar.